May 22, 2017
by Susan Tudor
MSA believes the time is right to amplify the sharing of why museum stores matter. If you were in Pittsburgh for MSA Forward 2017 or read Executive Director, Jason Harbonic’s email announcement, you have heard about MUSEUM STORE SUNDAY (MSS). But are you still wondering what it is all about? I am super excited to share the latest information about this ongoing initiative launching November 26, 2017.
MSS Background: Every year, consumers are encouraged to participate in shopping campaigns for Black Friday, (11/24/17), Shop Small Saturday (11/25/17), Cyber Monday (11/27/17) and Giving Tuesday (11/28/17). Consumers plan their holiday purchases to coordinate with these days, and participating retailers see a resulting patterned spike in sales. The Museum Store Association has developed a similar shopping campaign, sandwiched in the middle of these events called MUSEUM STORE SUNDAY. MSA’s launch of the first Museum Store Sunday is scheduled for November 26, 2017 and will span this country and abroad. MSS participation is available to all nonprofit retailers whether MSA members or non-members. MSA members will receive special marketing information, event and publicity assistance. If you’re not an MSA member, join MSA today to take advantage of these members-only opportunities.
MSS Vision: Museum Store Sunday is an ideal day for holiday shopping but more importantly it is an ideal time to focus attention, increase awareness and advocate the importance of museum stores and the institutions they represent. This annual international shopping campaign will help MSA achieve its strategic goal to communicate to the world, the value and importance of nonprofit retail with its curated products and unique experiences.
- To engage communities to support their cultural institutions during the holiday shopping season
- To target culturally minded shoppers, who might not think of museum stores as a shopping destination
- To showcase and promote the beautifully curated products and unique experiences that museums stores offer to consumers
- To offer museum membership opportunities to new patrons while supporting their institutions
- To support the vendors, designers, and artisans who sell to the museum store community on a local, national, and international level
- To encourage mission driven shopping which tangibly extends each museum’s educational programs and experience
- To promote the value and importance of museum stores to the general public and the world
MSS Timeline for Launch:
- Event Goals established by May 2017
- Branding established by June 2017
- Sponsorships secured by July 2017
- Dedicated MSS website established by July 2017; explaining the campaign and listing all participating MSA members. MuseumStoreSunday.org
- Marketing, PR & Social Media begins by August 2017
- Branded marketing package to be created and distributed to MSA members
- Marketing collateral will be available for download by each MSA member for use in print, in their store, and online.
- Standardized, branded press release to be created and distributed to each MSA member for customization; includes logo, tagline, color palette and standard verbiage
- Local Promotion to be customized by individual museums
- Free admission to exhibits
- Extension of museum/museum store hours
- Local vendor/artisan trunk shows
- New product introductions
- Shopping discounts
MSS Current Supporters:
American Craft Council, AmericasMart Atlanta, Association for Cultural Enterprises, UK, Andoniadis Retail Services, Bonnie Mackay Consulting, Book Expo America, Columbia River Maritime Museum, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, David Howell & Company, Doyle & Associates, Emergent Workshop, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, High Museum of Art, Las Vegas Market, Japanese American National Museum, Milwaukee Art Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburgh, National Museum of American Jewish History, Perez Art Museum Miami, Popcorn Custom Products, Stewart/Stand, The Barnes Foundation, The National World War II Museum, The New-York Historical Society Museum & Library, The Preservation Society of Newport County, The Walters Art Museum, VIELA Jewelry, Virginia Museum of Fine Art, Your Institution / Business / Association name here
For Museum Store Sunday general information please contact Susan Tudor, MSA Board of Directors at: firstname.lastname@example.org and for MSS marketing information please contact Stuart Hata, Chair MSA Marketing & Communications Committee at email@example.com
Susan Tudor is the Manager of Visitor Services and Store Buyer for the Cummer Museum in Jacksonville, Florida and is MSA’s 2nd Vice President.